Well, looks like Lockheed-Martin is getting in on the mars race with their new habitat/lander combo.
China wants to build its Utopian city of vertical forests, really neat if they combine it with UAE’s idea for martian habitats. I could definitely live in a lush forest dome on mars.
edit: update – Musk found the money, by dropping everything else. Hot off the press, read here : SpaceX to Phase Out Everything But Its Mars-Colonizing ‘BFR’ Rocket All aboard the B.F.R!
Wow, Elon Musk dreams big. And yea, thats a BIG rocket. 100 people to mars?! Amazing. We at Fly-To Corp. would like to offer our services (domains) to him for the low price of 2 million dollars. Hey, we have launch fee’s back ordered and vinnie don’t take no checks, see?
To quote the article: “The slimmed-down rocket would be nine meters, or about 30 feet, in diameter instead of the 12-meter behemoth he described last year. It would still be more powerful than the Saturn 5 rocket that took NASA astronauts to the moon. Mr. Musk called it B.F.R. (The “B” stands for “big”; the “R” is for “rocket.”) The B.F.R. would be able to lift 150 metric tons to low-Earth orbit, Mr. Musk said.”
He still has not figgured out how to pay for all this, but he has released some engineering details. (I love the quote : “The mood at the conference was almost as giddy as a rock concert or the launch of a new Apple product, with people lining up for Mr. Musk’s presentation a couple of hours in advance.”)
Giddy. Ha, how often do you hear that word? Seriously though, these space faring billionaires ARE becoming the new rock stars in a way..
B.F.R , ha! Must be playing too much doom now that its been ported to the switch.
In all seriousness though, 100 people? I would love to see plans for that Earth-Mars transport. I can see a team-up with Bigelo Aerospace and their inflatable habitat modules. (Already being tested on the ISS). They are being proposed for the 2021 lunar habitat. Personally i think we should also contract with Bigelo for these habitats as they are much safer. When a micrometeorite hits metal, it fragments and forms a non sealing hole. An inflatable habitat is mostly self-sealing (rubber) and can be repaired much like a standard tire. It is more flexible then alloy based pressure vessels, takes less room to launch and all in all more durable then current designs. I would bet on inflatables as being a game changer here, in terms of safety, production and launch costs. Buy Stock in Bigelo, I say.
Read more here at SpaceX.com.
Also found this gem about banning sex on mars missions, and space in general. Sponsored by TheSun.uk You think low gravity would have interesting effects on fetal development? Perhaps that’s where the ‘grey’ aliens are from..Just space born humans. 😀
Found this link with more info about water on mars posted by a great site, science daily. They have tons of articles, don’t forget to click on the DINOSAUR EATING FROG! OMGOMG!
Posted by Flight Control
Found this neat press release. Both Voyagers are still running, but I did not know they transmitted non-stop. Also that voyager 2’s plasma sensor still works. Nice jumping point to more Voyager stuff. 40 years in the harshest environment and still limping along like a car with 12 billion or so miles on it. Dang they just don’t make stuff like they used to.
Check it out here : A Day in the Life of NASA’s Voyagers
Welcome to the Fly-To-Mars portal. Here you will enjoy many of our fine packages within your budget that will get you to and from Mars to anywhere else in the solar system! Please be sure you use our travel tools to help you determine costs and flight times for other planetary destinations. Please click an advertisement because, well space *is* expensive and we aim to keep travel costs to the low billion dollars.
Currently we are offering discounts for transfer windows. Last minute reservations will depend on availability of space and your requested travel package. (Depends on how many monkeys we got stuffed in the cargo bay.)
Available packages :
1’st class : Full service pre-flight prep by one of our many highly educated talented technicians who will explain everything in as much (or little) detail as you require. Once securely in your private cabin you will find a full range of comforts such as :
- Quantum Internet – No more 2 second ping times! Frag all your friends from millions of miles away! This also includes full entertainment package of your choosing, full communications so you can still work from millions of miles away. (Hope your job pays well..)
- Also included is a full supply of whatever space food you enjoyed in our 5 star cafes during the duration of your flight preparations. This will be your in-flight meals. Upon reaching your destination, Marvel at our 5 star resorts! We also offer full fun parks, day care, medical needs, resturants and much more! We also are host to theaters showing everything from hard rock bands to the latest blockbusters from Hollywood to the latest YouTube celebrity of the week! And the end of your day, you will relax in your super soft genuine low-g bed stuffed with the feathers from a flock of cloned DoDo birds. In the interests of our biospheres, you can also find several mouth watering DoDo dishes in all our menus! (I’m partial to the spicy buffalo DoDo myself).
- You are also allowed up to 1/2 metric ton of cargo space with the option to have more sent to/from should you decide to extend your stay. For a small fee of course.
2’nd class : Want to Fly-To but your on a budget? Worry no more! Our ‘steerage’ package will get you onboard!
- Upon arrival for your morning pre-flight you can stock up on beef jerky and sandwiches you can find in one of our many Fly-To-Vendo machines.
- You and other travelers will be educated in many things during the standard pre-flight briefing. No worries, our janitor – Sparky (noone remembers his real name after all these years..it just sorta took) will educate the group on all the functions of your suit. Fear not, he is highly educated in our tech, because “I done this ‘fore, it aint my first bbq”.
- Your accommodations consist of a fine padded 6’x6′ stored in the cargo bay. Your space Lazy Boy ™ that also folds into a launch chair, a bed, or a couch. Your cargo is, well, whatever you can stuff in there with yourself.
- Travel throughout the ship is restricted to cargo bay, so you may roam and meet other travelers and livestock but not the command module or 1st class areas.
- Internet is available through standard radio based 512KB link. Video is limited to standard def 4:3 television. You have 10 hours per Diem, overages will result in additional charges.
- Upon landing, You will depart cargo and head to your new 12’x12′ cabin. Unlimited internet with cable speeds, ping times are will be measured in light speed. You may upgrade to Quantum Internet for the price of your arm or leg.
- Package does not include viewing areas however, your entertainment package does include a feed from the surface, among others you can explore in virtual reality. Package only includes the current planet you are on. You can buy one of our many additional entertainment packages for a nominal free per channel.
Well that’s the gist of it folks! Check with one of our fine booking agents who will be happy to answer any questions you have. So come try out one of our travel packages and see space yourself!
- payment must be rendered in full before lift off.
- You must also sign a waiver absolving Fly-To-Mars and the Fly-To corporation should you experience starvation, loss of atmosphere, catastrophic fuel detonation, ‘space willies’ (sanity clause), unsolved cargo hold crimes (it has happened), alien parasites, alien abduction, loss of navigation resulting in crash landing, system failure at any time of any system. Basically, you are on your own, we only ship yer butt. Don’t worry though, space travel is still safer then 3/4 of the Earths landmass. Nothing is guaranteed in life. Our motto is “We should be able to get you there alive! Mostly…9/10 is good odds the engineers tell us legal people.”